Mar 4, 2010

Little Spring Chicken

I first found this pattern when I was in high school (over 10 years ago) in a magazine-I have no idea which one it was, probably Family Circle or Better Homes and Gardens maybe. I had torn it out and saved it in my Easter file. I then used it in a Relief Society lesson when I was in college and had traced the pattern onto a piece of paper and thrown the orig anal away. Well fast forward to last week when I got my serge of spring energy and was in the mood for a quick and easy spring project. I went once again to my Easter file but found it lacking all the great things I remember it once having (that is what happens when you clean/thin out your files over the 10 years + of inactivity) but I still had the traced pattern for these. So I redid the pattern and you can find it here and here is a quick tutorial to go along with it.
These can be made for scraps you have laying around your house. They are super fast to make but do involve sewing. I used my sewing machine but you could do them by hand it would just take longer. Hot glue is also needed.
1. Cut out pattern pieces and the appropriate number of pieces of fabric according to the pattern. The pattern has a piece for the beak but I keep it as a general rule of thumb that I never cut out a pattern piece that small, I always just eye ball those kind of pieces.

2. Sew together the body pieces-right sides together-leaving a small opening for turning. Backstitch both sides of your opening. Repeat for the head. Turn right sides out.

3. Using beans, rice or popcorn pour some into the bottom of the body to weigh it down. I used popcorn. This isn't necessary depending on what you will use these for but if you want them to stand on their own like in a little nest then you will want to do this.
4. Fill the remainder of the body with stuffing and the head too. Don't over stuff.
5. Sew openings closed. I didn't bother tucking in my opening edges or even trying to hide the opening in any way because both will be hidden when you assemble the chick.
6. To make some hair gather a small bunch of yarn like so and....
glue it to the back of the head like so with hot glue. Then cut the folds and trim to uneven lengths.
like this.
7. To make the beak, take the beak piece you cut out and put a small dab of hot glue in the middle and fold it in half. This will make the beak so that it stays partly closed on the chick and doesn't just flap open. Hot glue the beak to the head piece. Add eyes. I drew mine with a marker and I used some chalk to make cheeks. Then glue the head to the body.
Here is a side view.
8. Finally take the scarf/blanket piece and tie it around your chick with a knot. I tied mine to the side a bit. This will cover up the seam on the head. You could glue this in place. I didn't.
Aren't they little sweeties. Look for mine to show up in a Spring wreath in a week or so. I have to get a few more supplies and make a couple more. Enjoy!!!
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments:

  1. These are adorable!! I'd love it if you'd link up at my "Sew Cute Tuesday" link party at Creative Itch!! I started it as a way to get some fun sewing ideas! MckLinky stays open until Fridays so there's plenty of time to add your projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute! Thanks so much for sharing these little guys. I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wicked cute! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! I linked them to my blog of Easter stuff that the "Easter Bunny" is going to make for the kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely adorable! Thanks for sharing and I appreciate the photo tutorial too!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...